Monday, February 11, 2013

Let It Snow!

Did you see the huge storm we got on the weather?!  My first New York winter storm experience!  We definitely didn't get the worst of it.  I'm basically in the "tropics", haha.  Go figure.  We got about two feet of snow, so it was pretty fun.

Sister Killen in the snow
Well the big snow storm was late.  It was actually supposed to come the night before but it was a nice, warm night.  The next morning, we woke up . . . still no snow.  So we just figured the storm missed us completely.  We had Zone Conference at the Hill Cumorah (seriously, who else can say that?) and during one of our breaks I walked passed a window and there was about a foot of snow on the ground!  It was crazy how much snow fell in a few short hours!

Driving back from Zone Conference . . . the start of the BIG Snow Storm!
At Zone Conference this past Friday, President Christianson talked about the importance of the Book of Mormon in investigating conversions and our own.  It was so amazing to talk about that right where the plates were for hundreds and hundreds of years!  I am so blessed to have the opportunity to serve in the cradle of the Restoration.  What other missionaries get to walk through the Sacred Grove all the time and go into the house that Alvin built and talk about the Smith family or talk about Moroni's visits to Joseph in the very airspace it happened or where the Book of Mormon was printed or where the Church was officially organized?!  I am too blessed!

After Zone Conference, I (being the designated driver) had to drive back to our apartment after being told that we needed to just go straight home and stay off the roads.  When we got home, Sister Hatch and I had the idea to go check on our contacts in our apartment complex.  So we got on our boots, gloves, 10 layers of clothes (not really but a lot of layers) and set out to walk in the two feet of snow to see our contacts.  Sister Hatch shoveled the sidewalks the whole hour we were out blazing a trail in front of us while I held her and my things walking behind her (yes, that is a very important job too and she wanted to shovel the whole time, haha).  We had ten to check on in our complex and out of those ten we saw two.  We had a fun time and our apartment manager was very appreciative of Sister Hatch shoveling a path.

The boyfriend of our March baptism is taking the missionary lessons now.  They both came to the Hill Cumorah with us and watched the Joseph Smith film.  They loved it; she cried and he choked up a lot.  They are both excited to be baptized.

Sundown at the Smith Family Farm


























We met with two less active families this past week and had great lessons with them.  One family came to Church and the mom from the other family came to too.  First time for her in years, so it was pretty awesome.  Next Sunday, we hope both whole families will come.  We have a fun FHE planned for one of them tonight!

Sister Hatch and I performed an arrangement of "I Know that My Redeemer Lives."  I had it recorded and was going to send it in my email today but it's too big.  Any suggestions on how to send that video to you?

I was asked if I was a nun for the first time today from the cashier at the grocery store.  I told her no and she said that she thought no because I was dressed way too cute to be a nun but wondered because of the tag.  That, of course, started a mini conversation and we hope to see her next time we're there (the line was too long this time :( )

With Sister Hatch in "Shortsville Wonderland" (will explain that in another letter)
Well, tomorrow, the 12th, is my three-month mark. :0  I can't believe it's already been three months!  Time flies by quickly when you put your heart and soul into the work everyday.  I am so thankful to be here.  I am so thankful for all your support and for the packages and letters you send.  Everything is so precious to me.  This experience has changed my life already and I can't wait for the more changes that this mission will bring me.  The Book of Mormon is such a life changer as I see it in those I teach and in my own life.  I'm so thankful for my companion, Sister Hatch, who keeps me going strong.  I'm also so thankful for the opportunity to share the Gospel message to the world through chat.  We've sent missionaries to two people in Georgia, one in Arizona, one in the U.K., one in Australia, and one in Sweden!  And have sent Books of Mormon to many more!  My life just feels so balanced and I love it!

Love,
Sister Killen

No comments:

Post a Comment