Hello All!
I can't believe it's already February! Where is the time going? So crazy!!! We have had such wonderful training this past week. On the 1st, Elder Perkins, of the Seventy, came and spoke with us. He trained us on the steps to faith for investigators and also how that can apply to ourselves everyday. He also taught on the Atonement and how most of the time, we focus on the Atonement covering our sins. But in Alma 7:11-13, it reads that the Atonement covers sins, pains, death, sickness, and infirmities. Do we really use and enable the power of the Atonement in all the aspects that it covers? I definitely have not. I knew that he Atonement covered all of those different things but I find myself not utilizing it in every aspect of my life and instead think that I'm strong enough just to handle things on my own. NEWS FLASH: I'm NOT strong enough! The more I learn and study about the Atonement, the more I realize how much I need ti every second of my life which leads to more desire to run to every house to share it with everyone no matter how cold it is or how many of my limbs I can't feel from being in the cold for so long.
 |
|
I was reading yesterday in Alma 28 after the Nephites and Lamanites had a tremendous battle. there were tens of thousands of people killed, and how the people on both sides mourned for their losses. But then in verse 12 it reads,
While many thousands of others truly mourn for the loss of their kindred, yet they rejoice and exult in the hope, and even know, according to the promises of the Lord, that they are raised to dwell at the right hand of God, and in a state of never-ending happiness.
We, as Latter-day Saints have the same hope and knowledge. We can rejoice and exult in hope of the resurrection and eternal life beyond that is promised to us by the Lord as we obey His commandments. Isn't this knowledge incredible? Shouldn't we share this knowledge and good news with everyone so that they can rejoice as well? Alma 28:14 states,
And thus we see the great call of diligence of men to labor in the vineyards of the Lord; and thus we see the great reason of sorrow, and also of rejoicing--sorrow because of death and destruction among men, and joy because of the light of Christ unto life.
This is our great call. To bring souls unto Christ, who will give anyone who is in the deepest sorrows joy unto eternal life. We need to get the word out more! I invite anyone who reads this to post something Gospel related with a brief testimony or statement on Facebook once a week.
The work of God in His vineyard is truly hastening. So many different tools are becoming available to members and missionaries to move the work forward. One of the new tools that we, in the New York Rochester Mission, get to use now are iPads!!! After being trained by Elder Perkins for three wonderful house, Sister Boseman and I had a brief lunch and then went into another meeting for three hours to be two of the six missionaries trained to use our new iPads to then in turn train the rest of the mission! But before going into that meeting President Francis introduced me to Elder Perkins and mentioned to him that I'm the one who created and produced the NYRM
Banner is Clear video that he saw. Turns out Elder Perkins helps produce the
Mormon Messages videos for the Church and said he was very impressed with my skills especially in editing. Let's just say my jaw dropped to the floor. Haha. That made my life!
 |
| We got iPads!!! |
Now on to the mission iPad training. Brother Hemmingway, who was Mission President for NYRM before President Christianson, now directs all the proselyting for the Church, trained us on our iPads. Well he saw my video too and it turns out that he helped to produce
The District videos and other videos for the Church, and he said he too was very impressed with my work. He added that if I needed a recommendation he would be willing to give me one. Wow! May my life AGAIN! Haha. Anyway, we are one of 30 missions to test the iPads. And the iPads hold everything. No more paper planners, area books, or sticky notes. It's
all on the iPads.
On the 4th, the six of us mission iPad trainers started training one zone at a time. President had me lead out the guinea pig round (train the first zone). Let's just say because of that first training round, all the other area trainings went a ton smoother. We had a lot of wi-fi issues, lots of technical problems, and the training took place in the cultural halls so it was louder than it should have been. But the other five zone trainings went a billion times better. The two Palmyra zones were first and the next day we trained the two Rochester zones. Because of the distance, President had us meet him and the AP's at the mission home and ride with him. Best drive ever! We all laughed so much! It was the day it snowed an inch per hour, so there was a TON of snow but we were super safe. :) I didn't think out training trip could get any better . . . but it did.
 |
| The Mission "Geek Squad" - Mission iPad Training Team |
 |
| President Francis in the 1-Inch Per Hour Snow |
 |
| iPad Training |
 |
| Introducing Sisters to their new iPads |
On the final day of training, we went to the last two zones in Buffalo. Sister Boseman and I had to wake up at 5:00 am and leave at 5:45 am to get to the mission home (5:00 am is super early even for missionaries, haha). With President and the AP's, we picked up the other two Elders who were training with us and drove to Buffalo together. That was another awesome car ride. During our last zone training, President told us he had a meeting in Buffalo afterward but instead of having us wait for him, he surprised us and told Sister Boseman and I that the four Elders were going to take us to Niagara Falls and dinner! Since neither Sister Boseman nor I have served in Buffalo, neither one of us had seen Niagara Falls. We were stoked!!!
 |
| Leaving for Buffalo at 5:00 AM |
After our final training zone, we left President for his meeting and got into the van to head for Niagara Falls! It was
so cold at the Falls. The mist from the falls felt like ice pelt swords as it hit you stinging your face. As soon as the mist hit your jacket it froze right on. Niagara Falls was half frozen which made is look so cool!
 |
| Sister Killen with Sister Boseman at Niagara Falls |
 |
| Niagara Falls in Winter! |
 |
| At the Falls Freezing |
 |
| Texas Roadhouse for Dinner! |
After getting frost bite on all of my fingers (not really, haha), we went to dinner at Texas Roadhouse. SO GOOD! SO FUN! We were all so tired that we basically laughed at everything (but don't worry Mom, we were still very missionary-like). After heading back to get President, we drove to the mission home, and then Sister Boseman and I drove to home. We didn't get in until 10:30 pm. We were so wiped out. But it was the BEST DAY EVERY! A very cool thing that I noticed at all six training zones that I loved was that when President Francis gave his portion of the training (the more spiritual side of the training), it was basically the same with small additional comments that each zone needed to hear. It was really cool to see our President in action and "teach people, not lessons." The Spirit is so awesome!
 |
| The "Party Van" heading back the Mission Home |
The next day on the 7th, we had Mission Leadership Council which was the best MLC I've ever been to. I am so blessed to be part of such a wonderful mission under a fantastic Mission President, surrounded by amazing missionaries and mission leaders, with so many once-in-a-lifetime opportunities and incredible blessings.
Love you all!
Sister Killen
No comments:
Post a Comment