Last weekend, I was asked by the Bishop to sing for a wedding he was performing for a non-member couple on Monday. It was a Hispanic wedding, so, if possible, just so it was nice for the couple, the Bishop asked if I could sing in Spanish. I agreed and wend searching for a song that I could sing. The good wedding songs that I could think of (the "mission veil" is extremely thick) didn't have Spanish translations that wend with the beats/measures/rhythm. And so with the help of Sis. Searle, we found a great arrangement of the hymn
Love at Home or
Cuando Hay Amor (that was the most romantic, appropriate wedding song we could come up with and find). When I told the Bishop that was what I was going to sing, he just laughed that that was the only thing we could come up with. But it was going to have to do.
 |
| Cut my Hair . . . What do you think? |
When we told the Elders in our district what I was doing on Monday, one Elder got super excited about it and being Hispanic himself wanted to get involved helping with the wedding somehow. It would be a great teaching opportunity and he is the only Elder in our district who speaks fluent Spanish, and since he likes to sing, we thought it would be a great idea for him to sing with me. (NOTE: I had never heard him sing up to that point). When we went to practice on Monday morning with Sister Searle (she was accompanying us), we had a huge surprise. The Elder could
not sing. Completely tone deaf. Trying to be nice, I kept a straight face but out of the corner of my eye, I could see Sister Graham slowly bring the folder she was holding up in front of her face. We both knew that if we made eye contact, we were done for. After trying out the song a couple of times, Sister Searle had to leave to take care of a couple of things. We had a half-hour before the wedding, which meant I had a half-hour to help get this poor Elder singing the right notes. At this point he realized that he was not singing the note and asked me to help which gave me the perfect opportunity to sweetly say, "Let's go to the piano." For that half-hour, we plunked out each note and as he tried to hit the note I would give a thumbs up or down to have him go higher or lower. By the end of that half hour he could hit the first four notes perfectly in tune . . . Let's just say, I was scared for how this musical number was going to go. At the end of our "singing lesson" the Elder said, "I'm just going to have to do a lot of praying."
 |
| Roomies! |
When we got to the Church building, we found out that the wedding was cancelled. The groom was injured and so the wedding was off until he got better. I think the Elder was more relieved than I was but now we look back on it and laugh. Now just pray for our district musical number for Sacrament Meeting
and Zone Conference. :\
All preparations for Cathy's baptism are all set for tomorrow. Cathy asked me to sing for the musical number which was so special that she asked me. She is going to be such a great, strong member of the Church! More detailes of the baptism in my next letter!
Love and miss you all!
Sister Killen
 |
| At the Smith Farm Boundary Line Wall . . . still in tact! |
No comments:
Post a Comment