-->
Have you ever
taken parts of a present for someone and put it in three different boxes under
the Christmas tree? The person you
are giving the gift to has to open all 3 pieces to be able to really figure out
what it is and use it. Faith,
hope, and charity can be described as one gift divided up into three different
Christmas boxes. All three of
these divine gifts correlate, working together perfectly to create the best
results.
Good afternoon,
Brothers and Sisters, for those who don’t know me, which I’m hoping most of you
do, my name is Madison Killen. In
September I was called to serve in the New York Rochester mission, which will
include the visitors’ centers at the Hill Cumorah, The David Whitmer farm, and
The Smith Family farm. I can’t
tell you how excited I am to share my love for the Savior in Western New York
and I can’t wait to tell you all of my adventures. And for those who know the background story, it took a lot
of faith, hope, and charity from me to go on this mission so I guess this was a
perfect topic for me. But I have
to admit, when I finally got word that Brother Murdock had my topic, a billion
other topics, such as something about missionary work or even using music to
teach the gospel and help others feel the spirit, went through my mind way
before this one. I hope my
somewhat confused face wasn’t so obvious to Bishop and Brother Murdock when I
opened my topic paper. But with
everything I’ve gone through, it turned out to be the topic for me.
The definition of
faith in the Bible Dictionary is “Faith is to hope for things which are not
seen, but which are true”. But
faith does not come by believing alone.
There is a story about a great circus performer, who’s French name I
won’t even try to pronounce, stretched a long steel cable across Niagara
Falls. With high winds and without
a safety net, he walked across the cable, from one side of the falls to the
other. He then took a wheel barrel
full of bricks and again went from one side of the tightrope to the other
almost effortlessly. He then turned to the crowd in attendance that were raving
and cheering and asked, “Now, how many of you believe that I could push a man
across the wire in the wheel barrel?”
The vote was unanimous.
They all had the faith that he could really do it. While everyone was cheering and held
their hands high, the circus performer then asked, “Would one of you please
volunteer to be that man?” As
quickly as the hands went up, they went back down. Not a single person volunteered to trust their life to the
performer. In James 2:20 it reads,
“Faith without works is dead.”
What does that mean exactly?
It just means that if you don’t exercise faith and take action, faith is
not faith at all. President Monson
in the April 2009 General Conference told the perfect story about faith with
action.
“While presiding over the Canadian Mission, Sister Monson and
I had the opportunity of serving with some of the finest young men and women in
all this world. The very lives of these young missionaries exemplified faith.
There sat in my office one day a newly arrived missionary.
He was bright, strong, happy, and grateful to be a missionary. He was filled
with enthusiasm and a desire to serve. As I spoke with him, I said, “Elder, I
imagine that your father and mother wholeheartedly support you in your mission
call.” He lowered his head and replied, “Well, not quite. You see, President,
my father is not a member of the Church. He doesn’t believe as we believe, so
he cannot fully appreciate the importance of my assignment.”
Without hesitating and prompted by a Source not my own, I
said to him, “Elder, if you will honestly and diligently serve God in
proclaiming His message, your father will join the Church before your mission
is concluded.” He clasped my hand in a vise-like grip, the tears welled up in
his eyes and began to roll forth down his cheeks, and he declared, “To see my
father accept the truth would be the greatest blessing that could come into my
life.”
This young man did not sit idly by hoping and wishing that
the promise would be fulfilled, but rather he followed the sage advice that has
been given of old: “Pray as though everything depended upon God. Work as though
everything depended upon you.” Such was the missionary service of this young
man.
At
every missionary conference I would seek him out before the meetings and ask,
“Elder, how’s Dad progressing?”
His reply would invariably be, “No progress, President, but
I know the Lord will fulfill the promise given to me through you as my mission
president.” The days turned to weeks and the weeks to months, and finally, just
two weeks before we ourselves left the mission field to return home, I received
a letter from the father of this missionary. That father wrote:
“Dear
Brother Monson:
“I
wish to thank you so much for taking such good care of my son who recently
completed a mission in Canada. He has been an inspiration to us.
“My
son was promised when he left on his mission that I would become a member of
the Church before his return. This promise was, I believe, made to him by you,
unknown to me.
“I
am happy to report that I was baptized into the Church one week before he
completed his mission.” The humble prayer of faith had once again been
answered.
Real
faith, like what the young missionary showed in President Monson’s story, gives
us the power to do so much more than we have ever imagined. In Moroni 7:33 it reads, “And
Christ hath said: If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do
whatsoever thing is expedient in me.”
If we have faith in Christ, we can do and see the impossible.
In the very definition of faith, hope is present. Faith is to HOPE for things, which are
not seen, which are true. It’s
very evident that hope is important, but why? The definition of hope is a feeling of desire for
something. With that feeling of
desire, we are able to push ourselves forward and receive the blessings waiting
for us. Elder Uchtdorf in the
October 2008 General Conference said, “Hope
is critical to both faith and charity. When disobedience, disappointment, and
procrastination erode faith, hope is there to
uphold our faith. The brighter our
hope, the greater our faith.”
A recent personal story I
have about hope actually just happened this passed week. I caught a horrible stomach flu last
Saturday and the virus attacked brain nerves that left the left side of my face
paralyzed. With faith and definitely
hope, my recovery time will be quicker than what the doctors had originally
told me, which was 4-6 weeks to even see improvement and months to fully
recover. Elder Uchtdorf said, “Hope
sustains us through despair. Hope teaches that there is reason to rejoice even
when all seems dark around us.
With
Nephi, Elder Uchtdorf declared: “Press forward with a steadfastness in Christ,
having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.
Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and
endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.”
This
is the quality of hope we must cherish and develop. Such a mature hope comes in
and through our Savior Jesus Christ.”
While
preparing this talk, I realized “hope” can be a difficult subject to talk
about. There are not very many
general conference talks, nor a ton of scriptures that cover the topic by
itself. In most of the material I
found, hope was connected to something else. I started to realize while trying to find the inspiration to
write something about hope, that hope is more of the connecting piece, an
important one, but more like the bridge between faith and charity. Elder Uchtdorf said, “The things
we hope for lead us to faith, while the
things we hope in lead us to charity.” Hope is the subtle connection
between. That’s why it’s in the
very definition of faith. Without
that bridge of hope, that feeling of desire, we would have a very difficult
time getting to faith or charity.
In the next
18 months I’ll be able to experience charity to its fullest. Missionary work is all about
charity. Giving your time and
talents to something bigger that you may or may not be able to see while you’re
serving. One of my favorite quotes
about missionary work actually just comes from a plaque I saw one day. It read, “Missionary: Someone who
leaves there family for a little while so that others can be with there’s for
eternity.” What an awesome
experience I will be able to be a part of. Just sacrificing a short time of my life can create such a
huge difference in someone else’s, even if it’s just planting the seed for
another missionary.
Charity is
the pure love of Christ. Why is it
described that way? Christ’s
sacrifice was the perfect act of charity.
He suffered the atonement and on the cross for everyone even when his
blood was innocent because he simply loves us. As we sacrifice our time, talents, and efforts, we are
sharing Christ’s love for one another. Elder Russel M. Ballard said, “When that love is tangibly
manifested in millions of acts of Christian kindness, it will sweeten and
nourish the world with the life-sustaining nectar of faith, hope, and charity.”
Why is
charity a life-sustaining nectar?
Why is it so vital?
President
Thomas S. Monson has taught that in many instances Heavenly Father answers
another person’s prayers through us, through our kind words and deeds, through
our simple acts of service and love.
And
President Spencer W. Kimball said: “God does notice us, and he watches
over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs.
Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other.”
With
faith and hope, we will be able to be lead to those who need charity. We need to have the trust in Christ
that he will lead us to where we need to go. One of my favorite songs, that has become one of my mission prep
theme songs, has a line that reads, “Where you lead me, I will follow. Where you lead me, I’ll give my life
away.” What ever act of charity,
wherever we’re serving, let that be our goal. Wherever our Savior leads us, we will follow and give
everything we have.
President
Monson has said, “…True charity manifests itself when we are tolerant of others
and lenient toward their actions, the kind of charity that forgives, the kind
of charity that is patient…the charity that impels us to be sympathetic,
compassionate, and merciful, not only in times of sickness and affliction and
distress but also in times of weakness or error on the part of others.
There
is a serious need for the charity that gives attention to those who are
unnoticed, hope to those who are discouraged, aid to those who are afflicted.
True charity is love in action. The need for charity is everywhere.”
Putting
all 3 of these amazing gifts together, faith, hope, and charity, leads us to
the ultimate gift; Eternal life with our Father in heaven and our Savior Jesus
Christ. Using all 3 gifts is a
symbol of trust in our Savior and his plan for us. As we strive to become like Christ, we must always remember
that one piece of the ultimate gift doesn’t work without the other and trust
that God knows what we need to do if we are willing to listen and obey. In Moroni 10:20-21 it reads, “Wherefore,
there must be faith; and if there must be faith there must also be hope; and if
there must be hope there must also be charity. And except ye have charity ye can in nowise be saved in the
kingdom of God; neither can ye be saved in the kingdom of God if ye have not
faith; neither can ye if ye have no hope.”
President Monson said, “There is a golden thread that runs
through every account of faith [hope and charity] from the beginning of the
world to the present time. Abraham, Noah, the brother of Jared, the Prophet
Joseph Smith, and countless others wanted to be obedient to the will of God.
They had ears that could hear, eyes that could see, and hearts that could know
and feel.
They
never doubted. They trusted.
No comments:
Post a Comment